Sunday, August 31, 2008

Journey to Denver - Day 3 MPR/Biden Nomination

Day 3 I found myself being picked up by Minnesota Public Radio, transported to the Colorado Public Radio studios so that I could participate in a conversation that would air on National Public Radio. Talk about collaboration.

How did I get involved? Facebook! Several weeks back a random email came through my Facebook page asking if I would like to participate in a roundtable discussion amongst 20 Democrats from all across this country. Our charge - answer one question...what does it mean when you say I'm a Democrat?

For me this was one of the highlights of the week. I met some wonderful people and in the span of an hour had developed friendships that I'm sure will move beyond the convention.

I must tell you that during the ride to the studios some of my fellow participants and I were getting to know one another. As I was speaking one young lady from the back of the van stopped me..."are you Derrick from Facebook"? Stunned, I took a closer look...a familiar face. It was my new found friend Asra Husain. (NOTE: We have a mutual friend that connected us on Facebook) How small the internets make this world. We'd never met in person, but had an immediate connection from a technical connection on a social networking site. Many of the clips from today are of those that participated in this wonderful discussion. Listen to the show.

Later that night on the convention floor we had the pleasure of hearing President Clinton, John Kerry, Joe Biden and Barack Obama. While Biden was speaking my sister sent me a text saying that CNN was reporting that Barack was in the building and coming out. In a matter of minutes that messge spread through my section of the floor. I'm sure others were getting similar texts because the floor started to rumble while Sen. Biden was still speaking. The anticipation was tangible.

How do you top that? Well, you try to hit the hottest parties in town. Last night we were watching Biz Markie, Slick Rick, and Whodini perform and tonight it was Musiq and Kid Capri. I've added a clip or should I say an exclusive behind the scenes delegate access performance of a new song by Musiq. (I've always wanted to have an exclusive report)


Jeff Horwich is the host of In The Loop for Minnesota Public Radio. Here he's explaining what we just took part in.

Lynda from New York participated in the MPR roundtable so while we were waiting I asked her for an interview.

My Facebook friend Asra Husain was also on the panel. A total coincidence that we both were participating.

Jeff is a delegate from CA and participated in the roundtable.

Bill Clinton came out and was treated to applause like none other.

Michiganders, Abby Dart, Alic Corey, and Lynne Schwartz speak after Barack and Biden met up on stage for the first time.

No comments: